Sunday, October 2, 2011

First Day, First Smiles

     I have decided to write a blog about something that has greatly impacted my life, Special Gifts Theatre. I have been a peer mentor at this wonderful program for eight years and it has changed my life. So many new friendships and memories have been made for it not to be talked about somewhere. This blog will be all about my experiences with Special Gifts.
http://www.jjslist.com/filebin/bridgebuilderlogos/Special_Gifts_Theatre_Editedtwo.jpg
     Last Tuesday was a very important day. After going through another year of mentor training for three weeks, the mentors finally got to meet their buddies. I was getting very anxious walking down the hallway towards the classroom. My buddy last year was a twin, and this year I have his twin. I was so worried of how things would go, especially because the girl who was my current buddy's mentor was not even in our class. Special Gifts Theater divides the cast, which is performing Grease Jr. this year, into three classrooms. My buddy was in one classroom, but his mentor from last year was not.
     I walked into the classroom with such a big smile. I couldn't help it from forming after seeing the excitement on all of the students' faces from us walking in. Five other mentors and I waited towards the door as our names were being called off to go meet and greet our new buddies.
     As my name was called, I could already tell how great this year would be. My buddy smiled from ear to ear and immediately remembered who I was. The two of us have no problem talking to each other because we have similar interests. He went on for a good five minutes about his iPhone and all the games he has on it.
     Stepping back to reality, this day made me realize something special. It didn't matter how good or bad of a day I was having that Tuesday. By simply being able to walk into that classroom to be greeted by a smiling face made it that much better. Looking back on that day, I can't even remember how my school day was. All I remember is lots of laughter and a great time spent with a great kid.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's really great that you found something you love doing, and something that really helps you forget your troubles. Giving back to your community is so important, and volunteerism is vital for a better tomorrow. I applaud your effort to get involved in the community, and I hope you will always continue to love what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete