Notice: Names were changed for privacy reasons.
As mentioned in a previous post, my buddy’s part in the play "Grease" is Stevie the T-bird. What I failed to mention earlier is what part my buddy plays everyday. “Billy”, my buddy is a twelve year old who loves Justin Bieber and iPhones. Billy also has Cerebral Palsy, which means he can’t quite function the same as someone like me. For instance, he gets around by sitting on a scooter and pushing with his legs.
Nonetheless, Billy and I have very similar personalities and both love to listen to music and watch movies. Another thing about Billy is that he is a triplet. As a member of the Special Gifts community, I only know one of Billy’s siblings, “Joe”, because he also has Cerebral Palsy and works in the same classroom as me. In fact, last year I mentored him.
The two boys together share such a special bond between each other. Sometimes it can be hard to understand what either one is saying, but the two of them can always figure out what the other one is trying to say. It really is a privilege to work with Billy because he allows me to appreciate the special bond two people can share and what an impact it has on those around them.
![]() | ||
|
One of these moments happened last Tuesday. While practicing our lines in the classroom, it was noticed that one of Billy’s lines is a reaction to something his brother said and makes fun of him. Joe’s mentor and I thought it would be a good idea for them to practice these specific lines with one another. After the joke was said, both boys couldn’t help but burst out into laughter, slapping their knees in hysterics. Seeing this reaction instantly put a smile to my face. It made me think about how often I spend worrying about what’s wrong in my life instead of focusing on what’s right. Billy is always a happy person and his smile is truly contagious. I wish I had the connection Billy and Joe share with more people in my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment