Friday, January 13, 2012

A Late Hello



Last Tuesday was a very stressful day. With finals being next week, I had to schedule a math tutor. Of course, the only time she could squeeze me in was right at three, when school ends. Special Gifts starts at 4:15. My tutoring was not over until four, giving me fifteen minutes to drive a thirty-minute commute. I knew I would be late.
Finals are a very stressful time. I have to study every day the week before. Having Special Gifts would definitely change my stressed attitude. I was looking forward to going all day.
I arrived to Special Gifts at 4:30, fifteen minutes late. Out of breath, I entered the building and was told Billy was on stage. I walked in and saw him paired with a different mentor who was substituting for me while I was absent. I could tell by the look on Billy’s face that he was confused as to why I wasn’t there.
http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/late_for_work.jpg


I climbed up the stairs to the stage and tapped Billy on the shoulder. His contagious smile immediately lit up as he said, “Hi Maddie!”.  I could instantly see how much Billy’s attitude had changed. He could not help but to smile and keep checking behind him to make sure I was still there.
Having a bond like this with Billy is truly what keeps me going. Having such a welcoming hello during a stressful week really made me relax. I kept Billy’s smile in my mind when I got home and it really helped me realize what’s important in life. As stressful as finals can get, having someone’s smile brighten your day is far more important than any test I could take.

No comments:

Post a Comment