Yesterday was sadly the last rehearsal that we had before the big production. Of course, the purpose of this rehearsal was to get through the whole show with as much energy that we would have for the actual performance. Billy always comes to Special Gifts loaded with energy, so I didn’t have much to worry about.
As a peer mentor, part of my job is to encourage my buddy to sing and dance to all the songs. The staff made it very clear that for this rehearsal they wanted everyone’s voices to be heard loudly. Billy is really good at dancing, but sometimes forgets to sing while he dances. I always think that part of the problem could be that he doesn’t know the words to some of the songs, until yesterday when I was proven wrong.
The last scene of the play began where everyone is on stage. Since it is the play "Grease Jr.", the song “You’re the One That I Want” comes on in this scene. For it, the whole cast is quiet in the background while Danny and Sandy sing to each other. When the chorus came on, I was focusing on showing Billy the dance moves when, to my surprise; he started belting out the whole thing! I was so shocked sitting next to his scooter that I couldn’t help but smile and sing along with him.
I know with this attitude and energy, Billy will be amazing in the play this weekend. I can only hope he sings and dances like this for the rest of the songs!
Maddie-
ReplyDeleteThis blog is so great. Every post is so meaningful and shows how much you care about these kids. I’m so happy that Billy sang while dancing. He sounds like a truly amazing kid. I also really wish I was able to come to the play this weekend-I’m sure It went great!I love your blog because it is just so personal. I can tell that every post you write takes a lot of thought and comes straight from your heart. There really is nothing you can do to improve your blog, because it is so amazing as is. You have a big heart Maddie and this blog just shows it! Keep it up!!